Brighten Someone's Day with a Handwritten Letter!

Make Someone's Day with a Handwritten Letter!



Want to make someone feel really special?  Send them a letter!  Walking to the mailbox expecting to find bills and junk mail and instead discovering a handwritten letter from a loved one will certainly brighten one’s day!  In this modern time of instant texts and emails, the written word is becoming a lost art.  

Last year I was reunited with a former student named Reyna and ever since she has been sending me sweet handwritten letters and postcards in the mail and it fills my heart with such love and gratitude.

It all began when I received the sweetest email from Reyna out of the blue asking how I was doing and informing me of her upcoming college graduation.  Reyna was a 3rd-grade student of mine waaaaaaaay back in 1998.  As an 8-year-old, Reyna demonstrated a tremendous gift for writing.  While most of her peers were struggling to write in complete sentences, Reyna was producing these magnificently colorful stories and narratives that blew me away!  She was one of those students a teacher never forgets, so when I received her email, I was delighted.

Soon after, we got together and caught up on what’s been happening with each other over the last 18 years!  Nothing is more rewarding for a teacher than seeing a beloved student as a poised, talented, brave, and compassionate adult.  We didn’t meet as teacher and student, we met as two women embarking on a transitional phase of our lives.  At the time, I was a recently retired elementary school teacher working to build my business and Reyna was transitioning into grad school as she works to fulfill her lifelong dream of becoming a writer.  A few days later Reyna moved to California to begin grad school and we have kept in touch ever since.  

I often go out and check the mail to discover another one of Reyna’s beautifully handwritten gems waiting for me.  As a child, her writing filled me with pride and hope and as an adult her writing fills me with love and inspiration.




Popular Posts